Monday, March 17, 2008

Ipoh Sun Yuan Foong White Coffee

I received a comment from my friend saying that Nam Heong Old Town White Coffee is not where the original white coffee came from. According to him, Sun Yuan Foong, a coffee shop located directly opposite Nam Heong along Jalan Bijih Timah is white coffee’s origin. Then, I remembered another coffee shop’s name which sounds like this. I went there immediately after my cuppa at Nam Heong. It’s called Sun Yuan Foong. Is there a reason why the coffee shops’ names are so similar here? The competition for the best white coffee is very evident in Ipoh with each claiming to serve the best, lol.


Comparing both shops, I found that Nam Heong’s business is better, looks better, cleaner and more popular with the youngsters. Sun Yuan Foong on the other hand has more senior customers and serves nostalgic toasts. Both shops also sell pastries like egg tarts and siu pao.

If you ask me, I think all white coffee tastes almost the same. The comparisons I can make are on the sweetness, thickness and sourness of the white coffee. Sun Yuan Foong’s version of white coffee is richer, darker and sourer if compared to than Nam Heong’s, even when iced. For me both are equally good. I think it all depends on your personal preferences on deciding which is better. And then these are some of food we tried in Sun Yuan Foong. The pastries are sold outside the coffee shop and you can order the toasts off the menu on the walls from the waiters. Most of the toasts are meant for breakfast but we had it for tea break lol. This is peanut butter toast.

Egg tart and siu pao. Please pardon the crappy photos haha. It was raining heavily that time and it was very dark in the coffee shop.

Lastly, a toast set with a hard boiled egg and sausage. I have done some searching on the Internet regarding Ipoh’s white coffee but still couldn’t conclude which coffee shop is the original one. Curiosity aside, actually it doesn’t really matter to me. Because being original does not necessary mean being the best. You just need to find the one that suits your taste. So, anyone can fulfill my curiosity? Haha.

No comments: